Retreat Tips & Reminders
- assign rooms as they arrive.
- need to collect agreement form and any payment owed.
- put name tag on door at eye level. can use the name plate
- if someone changes room, update the map
- show them where the main gathering room is.
- let them know to return to dining area before 6 pm.
Papers & Manual:
- keep track of your manual and papers
- be protective of papers, don’t leave them laying around outside your manual.
- Keep in mind where retreatants are at, respect their grief, doubts, questions, etc.
- Be careful of non-affirming talk.
- When introducing self, don’t say “oh this retreat is so amazing will change your life…” You’ll lose credibility.
- Be careful about sharing mystical experiences that may seem weird or frightening to others.
- Try to share in a way they can relate to.
- It’s more helpful to say something like, “I remember being so scared on my retreat/this exercise but I gave it a chance and…”
Reading & Facilitating:
- When reading, remember pacing and volume.
- Pay attention where it says to pause… a pause should be the space of a deep breath.
- You can paraphrase the facilitating questions at the end, if you wish. You don’t have to say them exactly as they are written.
- Try to look around the room as you ask questions. Look curious, pay attention to body language.
- Give them plenty of time to respond to questions.